What to Bring
New parents sometimes come to meets with only their swimmer and a towel. Here is an expanded packing list more typical of what “veteran families” bring along. For morning and evening meets, dress in layers to stay comfortable, whatever the weather.
- Directions to away meets
- Event list for your swimmer(s) which will be posted on the website prior to each meet. This will also be posted at the meet, but it is nice to have your own list.
- Sleeping Bag – Depending on weather, swimmers nestle inside or sit on top of them between races
- Portable chairs/Beach umbrella/Small tent – helpful for swimmers and parents alike
- Towels – two per swimmer is nice
- Warm parka
- VDD swim cap
- Visor or sun hat for everyone
- Thongs or Sandals. NOTE: Parents working as timers and recorders, you should be prepared to get your feet wet
- Sharpie Pens - to write your child's meet information on their arm
- Suntan lotion/sun block – absolutely required for morning and day-long meets
- Money for concession stand – Food is sold at nominal cost at ALL meets. Breakfast: coffee, tea, hot chocolate, donuts, bagels. Lunch & Dinner: baked potatoes, hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, salads, noodle soup
In addition, the following items come in handy for invitationals and All-day meets:
- Awning/Umbrella/Dome Tent-for shade, changing rooms, etc.
- Tarp-just in case the ground is wet.
- Cooler with extra soft drinks or food-remember no glass containers.
- Highlighter pens/pencils-for marking names and times in meet program.
- Quiet games for swimmers- such as puzzle books, DS, cards, etc., Reading Material – newspapers, books, magazines.